AOPA legal service plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cj610

Anybody here have or ever had to use the AOPA legal service plan. I've subscribed to it in the past but never used it. Do they really come through for those people who end up in need of their services?

cj610

Ever notice that the language of the legal plan does not cover your for appeal...which is what all enforcement action is about? After all...you're guilty until proven innocent, and your first opportunity to defend yourself is to appeal the enforcement action before an ALJ.

What the plan does get for you is initial consultation, and possibly representation with the FAA during the investigative process.

Think about the money you spend this way...it's still far less expensive than a fraction of what you'll need to spend when it's really happening to you. that fifty or hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket for even a basic consultation...better off getting the plan now because of the dollars it will save you later. Not to mention the potential damage to your career you might save by avoiding mistakes early in the process.

cj610 said:
Anybody here have or ever had to use the AOPA legal service plan. I've subscribed to it in the past but never used it. Do they really come through for those people who end up in need of their services?

cj610

A few years back I was on the Continental jumpseat where the Captain was disscussing a violation and subsequent hearing when Denver Center tried to violate him. It was quite a lengthy process and he was represented by lawyers from Continental, the IACP (CAL's in-house union at the time) and an AOPA lawyer from the AOPA legal services plan.

He told me that the AOPA lawyer ran circles around the CAL and IACP lawyers. The AOPA lawyer cost him about $500 out of pocket for all the work he did for him.

The violation was dropped by the way.

avbug said:
Ever notice that the language of the legal plan does not cover your for appeal...which is what all enforcement action is about? After all...you're guilty until proven innocent, and your first opportunity to defend yourself is to appeal the enforcement action before an ALJ.
I think you need to read the language again. http://www.aopa.org/info/certified/lsp_certificate.pdf

To answer the question. I subscribe also but have not had the need to use it. The people I know who have used it have been pleased although I'm sure that not everyone feels the same way in every case.

A story I heard:

There was an incident with an aircraft door in flight at my company. The aircraft returned to the airport and landed safely. The FO of the flight had the AOPA Legal Plan and called AOPA the second he got off the airplane. AOPA contacted their local representative who flew to the airport in his Baron and started working on the problem (from a legal standpoint).

Like avbug said, the money you will save makes it worth the little cost per year.

Trogdor said:
A story I heard:

There was an incident with an aircraft door in flight at my company. The aircraft returned to the airport and landed safely. The FO of the flight had the AOPA Legal Plan and called AOPA the second he got off the airplane. AOPA contacted their local representative who flew to the airport in his Baron and started working on the problem (from a legal standpoint).

Like avbug said, the money you will save makes it worth the little cost per year.

Did he screw up and not secure the door properly?

I subscribed to the plan and had need to use it when an inspector thought I'd be the next feather in his cap. Even though I was following policy at the time, AOPA's limp sock attorneys told me to take the violation and do whatever I could to extend the process.

A private aviation lawyer friend told me to force the idiot into a letter so the FAA lawyers could dismiss the case and stop the witch hunt.

I chose a different option that worked in eliminating the case, but still lost about 3 months worth of time and energy.

I now carry errors and omissions through my CFI insurance which provides different lawyers and far more coverage that AOPA. I also have no illusions about the cost of an appeal or one's chances when an inspectors wants a 709 ride.

AOPA seemed to be decent for the average non-professional private pilot. They were woefully inadequate for someone that makes their living with their certificates.

YAWV.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Jedi,

The problem is that not all lawyers are created equal. There are definitely "limp socks" in any group like that. On top of that, "aviation" is a pretty broad field and you could as easily get the name of a lawyer who is more qualified for one type of case than for another. AFAIK, the list is not broken down into sub-specialties.

Anyone who subscribes to a legal service plan of any type needs to understand this and remain PIC of their own case. If you don't like the answer you get, get another opinion.

Fortunately, the AOPA LSP starts out by giving the names of three lawyers. If you have an aviation problem of any type, it's usually a good idea to call all three and at least get an over-the-phone impression of who you feel the most comfortable with.

I know someone who is an AOPALSP lawyer. He volunteers his time, and has said that the LSP is the best investment a pilot can make.

Latest resources

Back