Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone used Jeppesen's Aviation Weather Book?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
I'm looking to add a good aviation weather book to my library, and I am starting to narrow my sights down on Jeppesen's Aviation Weather Book:
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=889&DID=19

Has anyone read this book before, and if so is it easy to read and understand, and more importantly is it worth the higher price tag? I have paged thru it once or twice at pilot shops, and it looks like a real good resource of information, but I want to hear from people that have actually read and used it.

Understanding weather has always been a major weakness of mine, and I've tried reading other books before, but they're always so technical and assume you already have a certain level of understanding, and so it typically loses me after about 2 or 3 pages.

Any help or suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks.

yes, not bad

just like FN FAL, i am a man of few words

We use it as the text for our AV115 Aviation Meteorology course here (which I'll be teaching again this fall). Already a little out-of-date due to constant product tweaking by the NWS, but still highly recommended. I also really like Terry Lankford's book, Weather Reports, Forecasts, and Flight Planning.

Last edited:
Kawasumi_Kichou said:
Already a little out-of-date due to constant product tweaking by the NWS, but still highly recommended.
How or what is exactly out of date? Anything theory related, or more with the weather maps and reports?

The theory stuff is great but there's been a few changes to aviation weather products and terms since the 2nd edition of the book came out in 2001. All of the changes are fairly minor and no doubt will be picked up upon the next revision:

Apparently Winds Aloft text forecasts are now designated "FB" (Aviation Forecasts) instead of "FD" (Winds Aloft Forecasts).

Also apparently the old catagorical outlook groups (VFR, MVFR, IFR, LIFR) are now called AFCs (Aviation Flight Catagories). The definitions remain the same.

Appendix D-22: Forecast Winds and Temperatures Aloft Charts for the US have been discontinued, replaced by color graphics (location barbs or streamlines by flight level) on the NWS AWC ADDS Winds & Temps page at http://www.aviationweather.gov .

AWC has implemented two new forecast graphics products, the GTG (Graphical Turbulence Guidance) for turbulence, and the FIP/CIP (Current/Forecast Icing Potential) for icing, both selectable by flight level.

The existing AMDAR system is being supplemented with TAMDAR to provide more in-flight observation data at lower flight levels.

Some minor changes to the way US civilian TAFs get formatted (examples: no more PROB40, FM group must start a new line).

Like I say, all relatively minor stuff. I just cover the differences in class when we get to these areas. Still recommend the book.

Thanks for all the great information and for clarifying your original post. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me, I'm real solid on textual and graphical weather reports, it's just the theory behind it that usually trips me up.

Well, I suppose I will be placing an order for this book soon.

Anyone else who has any opinions or wants to share there thoughts are still more then welcome!

2 things, you can always find cheaper stuff on ebay and half.com than at sporty's and yes i have a few books to add to your collection:
meteorology today by ahrens - excellent
aviation weather handbook by lankford

I've read the book. It was great, very colourful, and easy to read; my only complaint is that it is expensive. You should be able to find similar material that is not so pricey.

moxiepilot said:
2 things, you can always find cheaper stuff on ebay and half.com than at sporty's and yes i have a few books to add to your collection:
meteorology today by ahrens - excellent
aviation weather handbook by lankford
Yea I'm kinda put off by the price, but if its really as good as all the reviews say, then I don't mind spending it.

Besides, i got a $200 Sportys gift certificate thats been sitting on my desk since December, so I thought I'd use part of it for the book.

Latest resources

Back