Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone use Pocket PC GPS/approach plates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fearless Tower

Since I'll probably be renting planes rather than owning one for a while, I decided to invest in a high quality portable GPS.

I came across this in a magazine ad and it looks interesting:

http://www.anywheremap.com/anywheremap-pda.aspx

It basically provides the same stuff that a Garmin 496 does (GPS/moving map/XM weather...etc) plus it offers electronic approach plates all on a PDA/pocket PC.

Now the idea of having it all in one unit along with having the GPS info diplayed on electronic approach plates sounds pretty cool, but my experience with PDA's is that you have to do most everything with a stupid little stylus. It seems like trying to manipulate the pages and data on this thing while flying in a small plane on a less than calm day in IMC could be more of a hazard than it's worth.

Does anyone have any experience to the contrary?

I've been using Anywheremap for over 3 years now, and absolutly love it. I bought an extended battery for my PDA and it'll last over 10 hours and the Garmin GPS10 will last over 10 hours as well, so never any wires needed. Only need a power wire for the XM weather and the XM antenna, but the WX capability is well worth it. Using the stylus takes a little getting used to, but you also have short cut buttons on the pda that can be well used without using the stylus. What I love about it is that I can do my flight planning at home, program the whole flight plan into the gps, get in the airplane, turn it on and go. Say they give you direct, it's easy to use the shortcut buttons and go direct without using the stylus. They're also constantly coming out with improvements and updates with you can just download for free once you buy the program. You do have to be a little computer literate, but it's not that hard. I would recommend it over the garmin ANYTIME. Plus, you've got a full functioning pda that you can run other programs with (logbook pro, excel, games, street map gps software, etc.).

Latest resources

Back