Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scoreboard

Please keep moving...
My son is interested in the Marine Reserves. They state he can join as a reserve enlisted, get paid to finish college full time, then apply to become an officer, then enter aviation. Anybody done this? Thoughts? Yes, I was Air Force for twenty. marine deal seems better than what the USAF is offering these days.

Thanks, Scott

It is entirely possible. I spent 6 yrs in the USMCR prior to my commissioning. His best bet is to get into the PLC program as soon as possible. They will guarantee his a shot at aviation.. However there is no guarantee that he will pass the schools and become a pilot. If not, he then has to serve his time in a different job for the rest of his contract.
As for being paid, he will only get his reserve pay, reserve GI Bill, plus he can qualify for some monthly pay with the PLC program. I do not know what they pay now a days. Have him get in touch with an OSO as soon as possible.
Make sure he maintains good grades and stays out of trouble...
PM me if you want more details or info where to find an OSO...

Did that

Thanks, we just spoke to the recruter today, very informative, just wondering if there are anybody who did the enlisted reserve to officer gig...

So you live in Phx? I'm over in Scottsdale.

As a reservist you can immediately submitt an OCC application. After graduating, you have to wait until getting the degree before you actually get commisioned. How far along is he school wise?

I recommend having him enlist first before getting a commission. I did it, and I wouldn't change a thing. The PLC program is what he should look in to, or NROTC (this way you get the full ride).

For the Marines, you must complete 10 years active duty as a pilot before you can go reserve. (or maybe it was 8.........I dunno)

Good luck. Semper Fi.

Thanks to all

My son will be graduating next summer from High School. he is interested in helicopter rescue. I don't think the Marines have helo rescue as a specialty. USAF and Coast guard i bet. Mom not to keen on Army, i think the Army would be one of the better for Helo training...:)

scoreboard said:
My son will be graduating next summer from High School. he is interested in helicopter rescue. I don't think the Marines have helo rescue as a specialty. USAF and Coast guard i bet. Mom not to keen on Army, i think the Army would be one of the better for Helo training...:)

Hey Scoreboard,

Ask any Marine rotorhead here: What is a TRAP mission? Or better yet, ask that Air Force Viper pilot that got shot down in Bosnia a few years back if the Marines perform "helicopter rescue."

Regards,

Archie

Scoreboard was right on USMC not doing rescue as a "specialty." Marines do it as one of their many specialties. Very few TRAP missions are actually performed in comparison with other missions. If you want to do full time SAR, USCG is your best bet.

Latest resources

Back