• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sierra-Hotel

Wannabe Throttle Jockey
Hey everyone,

It's time for another I need help thread (don't we all love these!:laugh: ). My name is Jason and I need some help in looking for a flight school that will work for myself and my needs. I was planning on heading to the MAPD program in the fall of 07, but after talking with a current line pilot at Mesa this might not be in my best interest as by the time I finish the program and hopefully get hired,they will be going into contract negoiations and from what I hear it will get quite nasty.

So I'm back at square one and at the advice of that same Mesa pilot I'm posting here to see if I can get some ideas on programs that might work out for me. I'm looking for a program in which I can get my ratings and hours alongside getting at least my associates degree. My plan is to work on my BS though a distance learning program while at the regional level. And while this might seem like blasphamy here.....I really don't want to instruct. Now before the fire and brimstone come down and I get labeled another SJS kid, let me explain. I don't think I would be a good instructer as I do some training at my current job as a school bus driver. I tend to get irritated when people don't grasp things as quick as I think they should and plus since I'm starting not to like my job...I'm quite certain it's coming though to my trainees. To date I've had 4 quit and made 1 cry. Maybe I would be better as a flight instructer because I'll be doing something that I like but I rather not take the chance of destroying someone's dream.

So there it is all laid out. Hopefully you guys and girls can give me some good ideas and I can finally get started....because one way or another come June 16 I say goodbye to the big yellow bus. Feel free to post here, send a PM or email me.

Thanks in Advance
Jason Legister

if i were you i would goto a local 4 year community college. At the same time work on your ratings in weekends etc.. this may not be the quickest way to a regional but you don't really want to work at a regional anyway. Also by doing it this way you will avoid HUGE loan payments while you are making peanuts flying for a regional. in short avoid taking a loan at all cost and spend as little as possible on flight training. no one cares where you learned how to fly.

There really are a million ways to become a professional pilot. Be honest with yourself about what you want to do and the time lines. Set a budget. Have a back up plan. Stick to both, but be flexible enough to change them as new interests arise and opportunities develop. The best opportunities are the ones you never saw coming.

If you really want to go to college, then do that. Yeah, on line distance learning is a marvel of this day and age. It is not the same as going away to college. It is really hard to chase sorority girls (or frat boys if that's to your taste) around in an online environment. 0300 drunken pizza parties are not the same in distance learning.

Pick a good state university that has an aviation program. It will be WAY cheaper than the aviation universities. Make it your minor. Get your bachelors degree in another area that you enjoy or that will help you pay the bills when this business slaps you up side the head.

Get a job at the local airport, be it at the FBO, a regional, whatever. Do ramp, gate, fuel, aircraft cleaning, etc. Get the job, even part time, that keeps you in aviation and teaches you some other part of the business other than what goes on in the pointy end.

Over the course of your college experience, learn what makes you impatient. Ask others in your flight program, ask yourself. Talk to professional trainers in other fields. I used to be the same way. After time and a little personal growth, people consider me a really good trainer.

And for the love of God, have FUN doing all this. Geeez, we are all so darn focused on "must get the rating" that we lose sight of the fun side of this. Have a few beers, date, eat bad food, act obnoxious... get all that out of your system now so you are not doing it when you go on line.

Dude, doing those things when you're on line is the absolute BEST time to do them! :pimp:

And while this might seem like blasphamy here.....I really don't want to instruct. Now before the fire and brimstone come down and I get labeled another SJS kid, let me explain. I don't think I would be a good instructer as I do some training at my current job as a school bus driver. I tend to get irritated when people don't grasp things as quick as I think they should and plus since I'm starting not to like my job...I'm quite certain it's coming though to my trainees. To date I've had 4 quit and made 1 cry. Maybe I would be better as a flight instructer because I'll be doing something that I like but I rather not take the chance of destroying someone's dream.Jason Legister
By not instructing you might be missing an opportunity for personal growth in those areas you say you're weak in like patience. Not all teaching is to primary students. You can learn a lot flying with experienced pilots that need a BFR or are getting recurrent after a layoff. Teaching at least some will be a learning experience for you and will help you learn the material better and that will help you down the road in interviews. Reconsider it.

This sounds like perfect flamebait to me, but I'll bite. There's no rush to do anything rating-wise. DO NOT throw away your (or your dad's) $$ on a place like Mesa Pilot development, Regional Airline Academy, or any of that GARBAGE.

Here is my 2 cents worth.

Go to your local State College, get a decent degree in Business. While you are doing that, work at your local FBO. Get your CFI, LEARN about flying, get a multi, do a bit of charter when you get the 1200 hours. Get your ATP.

I think you would be the juiciest, prime target out there for any company going.

Just like going into the military, you do your 2-4 years,, is it a waste? I don't think so. It will make you a better man, and a better pilot.

Nawww, not politicaly correct in todays me-me generation, but sometimes the old values hold true.

But what do I know, I'm one step from Alzhemers.

Hung

Latest resources

Back