Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Resume Writer

Hi Everyone,

This article is really well done and points out some issues that some people may have not thought about in their job search.

Enjoy! :)

Kathy

The Hard Truth: Career Killers That People Are Too Polite to Tell You
By Ross Macpherson

Have you ever had a piece of food stuck in your teeth, and only realized it hours later after you've talked, laughed, smiled, and otherwise tried to look professional. If only someone had told you! Well, for some, the same may be happening in your career or job search.

I'm not talking about problems with your resume, although you should obviously try to avoid those. No, I'm talking about something you may not be aware of, something that others may not be too comfortable telling you - I'm talking about the basics of how you speak, how you dress, or the overall "first impression" you make. This is a delicate subject, but frankly it's important. I've met too many extremely talented people who can't seem to land that next position, and what no one has told them is that they simply need a decent haircut.

The Problem
The problem is that although these issues can be real killers, you never know because people feel awkward pointing them out to you for fear they'll hurt or embarrass you. The bigger problem, though, is that these things can severely hurt your job search, your advancement, and even your career. Now, I'm not suggesting that everyone should look and dress the same - not at all - but we all need to make certain that we look and dress our best…and let's be honest, sometimes we are not the best judge of that.

"But I thought they were hiring me for my skills, not for my appearance," you may find yourself asking. Well, of course they're hiring you for your skills, but don't think your appearance and overall presentation aren't important to them as well. As an employee, you will be representing their company, so frankly your presentation will matter to them.

Your Business Suits
I know not everyone is a fashion guru, but the fact is that everyone needs a few good suits for professional situations, like job interviews. Since you will likely interview several times for the same position, you don't want to show up each time in that one lime green suit. Mix it up. Common opinion has it that you need three good outfits, with different shirts, ties, blouses, etc.

You already have a few suits, you say? Great. In what decade did you buy them? I have actually heard of grown men walking into interviews wearing the same Duran Duran skinny-tie suit they wore to their first interview out of university in 1987 (although I'm impressed they still fit into it). Your suits should be classic, clean, and should fit you well. Likewise, your shirts and ties, blouses, and accessories should also be in good shape, fit well, and look professional. If they don't, don't think you can get away with it - please go out and buy some new clothes!

For men only: for whatever reason, men are stereotypically indifferent to their shoes and socks. I don't know why. Have you ever seen a man with a beautiful suit, well groomed hair, and the most beat-up shoes and miss-matched socks you've ever seen (the men reading this are saying "no," 'cause obviously they never notice). Men, please make certain you have a pair of nice shoes and socks. Just because they appear 6 feet below your eye level doesn't mean that other people don't notice.

For women only: just as men tend to "under-do" their appearance, women can sometimes overdo it. Keep the make-up and accessories professional.

Your Hair
Ellie had been looking for a new job for about 9 months. Her resume was professionally prepared, she'd been coached in interview techniques, and she was both competent and motivated. Unfortunately, she never made it past first interviews. After 7 frustrating months, she met with a recruiter who told her flatly to improve her haircut, which he said made her look "like Moe from the Three Stooges." It was hard advice to hear, but it made a tremendous difference once she changed it - her eyes seemed more interested and she looked far more professional.

I also recall a workshop I attended where the audience was mostly filled with graduating students who had been struggling to get their first job. When the topic came to appearance in an interview - haircuts, suits, etc. - a palpable lull came over the room. One young man with a red spiky mohawk stood up and said quite indignantly "I am not going to change who I am just to look like some clone. I am unique!" The speaker smiled, looked him straight in the eye, and said, "No son, you am unemployed!"

The moral: hair grows back. Change it if it will help. It sounds obvious, possibly even condescending, but please make certain that your hair style flatters you, is neat, and well groomed. I've seen too many people who go off to interviews looking like their hair was cut by badgers. Don't think it doesn't matter - it does.

(And by the way, do I even need to mention taking a shower and using deodorant? Unfortunately I think I do, because not every one does. The truth is, although you may not notice the smell, the other person will. Interview rooms are small, and nothing will kill your chances more than if the air becomes blue and toxic. Please, shower and use deodorant.)

Your Communication Skills
So now you look your best - your suits are perfect, your hair and teeth are immaculate - but now you have to make certain that your communication skills are also professional and free of "verbal ticks."

I once met a man who had an impeccable resume; he was personable, professional, and clearly qualified. A real slam-dunk. Problem is, every time he made a point in a conversation, he ended it with "OK?" and then a funny little laugh. His point was made, but this "verbal tick" was distracting to interviewers, and as a result he had a hard time getting hired for leadership positions.

Make a point of practicing your interviewing skills out loud, ideally with someone else, someone who will be brutally honest with you.

The Big Picture
This is not an easy topic to bring up, and I don't want to sound shallow or condescending, but I've met too many people who frankly need to hear it. Your skills and experience are obviously critical to your success, but your presentation is also critical to the impression you make...and let's face it, during an interview, you want to make the best impression you possibly can. And this applies to networking events, lunches, and in other professional situations as well. You never know who you're going to meet.

So take another look at your presentation and make certain that there isn't something simple causing a problem - something in the way you dress, stand, speak, or come across. This is especially true if you haven't much job searching luck for a while. You may need to readdress the image you're putting out there, and sometimes the hard truth is it's something as simple as a new suit or a haircut.

Kathy,

You mean I have to get rid of the snappy sport coat I last wore to an interview in 1972 ? It still looks OK and I fit into it !!

Everyone knows Moe's hair looked stupid, bit Larry's hair was OK...right ??

Latest resources

Back