American Flyers Online CFI Renewal Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Check Essential

I’ve been weighing the pros and cons of each online renewal method. Based on what I’ve read in previous threads, it looks like I’ll take the cheap way out and do the American Flyers course. I think the online time requirement is a small price to pay for the one-time fee, but that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, for those who have used the AF FIRC, are the test answers available to you as you’re taking the test? In other words, can you search for the answers as you’re taking the exam?

TIA.

CE

unfortunately, you have to finish each section (AND the @#$@ minimum time requirement!) before you can see the questions. However, you can go back and use the search function to find the answers once you have started the quiz. My M.O. is to do other chores while the timer clicks down, (remember to occasionaly switch pages or it stops counting) then go to the quiz and use the search function. It works like a charm for me, and I occasionally even read some of the boring content.

MSN

Just use Gleim. I just did my FIRC through them, and they don't have that stupid time limit deal. They give you 20 T/F questions at the start of the lesson to get you introduced to the subject matter, then they give you a whole summary of everything you need to know to pass the quiz at the end of the lesson. The best thing is, you can look over that summary while you're taking the quiz. Edit>Find is your friend.

Seriously, the whole thing took 3-4 hours, and I even learned a couple things.

During the exam, can you go back and search for the answers in the reading material provided with in the lesson? No.
Can you do an internet search? Yes. I've gone through the AF course twice with no problems. You can't beat free.

Makesheepnervus said:
...However, you can go back and use the search function to find the answers once you have started the quiz. My M.O. is to do other chores while the timer clicks down, (remember to occasionaly switch pages or it stops counting) then go to the quiz and use the search function...
MSN...just to be clear, are you searching through the AF material? Or you are doing an Internet search for the information?

I'm just a little confused based on what Dustin H says below.

Dustin H said:
During the exam, can you go back and search for the answers in the reading material provided with in the lesson? No.
Can you do an internet search? Yes.
unreal said:
Just use Gleim. I just did my FIRC through them, and they don't have that stupid time limit deal...
Thanks, but I'm not worried about the time. I have a couple of 80+ hour layovers coming up and would rather save the money in the future with AF.

CE

Sorry for the confusion, I wrote that way too early this morning.

I was answering your question

“can you search for the answers as you’re taking the exam”

The program will not let you search through the tutorial while you are taking the exam; however it can't stop you from doing an internet search to get your answers.

Gleim is the ONLY way to go if your shooting for quick. I don't know about you, but my free time is worth way mroe to be than 100 bucks.

Way2Broke said:
Gleim is the ONLY way to go if your shooting for quick. I don't know about you, but my free time is worth way mroe to be than 100 bucks.
Like I said...I'm not concerned about quick. I've got at least 2 80+ hour layovers next bid. I need to kill the time somehow.

I just haven't done any part 91 stuff (or instructed) for more than 10 years so I know I've forgotten a lot of the info.

I was just wondering if I'd be able to cherry-pick my way through the AF exam by using "CTRL+F" and searching for the answers to the questions within the AF material, or if I'd have to search for the answers on the 'net.

According to Dustin, I'd have to search on the 'net.

CE

Check Essential said:
Like I said...I'm not concerned about quick. I've got at least 2 80+ hour layovers next bid. I need to kill the time somehow.

I just haven't done any part 91 stuff (or instructed) for more than 10 years so I know I've forgotten a lot of the info.

I was just wondering if I'd be able to cherry-pick my way through the AF exam by using "CTRL+F" and searching for the answers to the questions within the AF material, or if I'd have to search for the answers on the 'net.

According to Dustin, I'd have to search on the 'net.

CE

Actually, unless something changed, just open another browser window when you take the test, and leave the instructional material open. You can search all day with no problems then.

sweptback said:
Actually, unless something changed, just open another browser window when you take the test, and leave the instructional material open. You can search all day with no problems then.
Seems to be conflicting information here.

Thanks for the response :)

CE

Latest resources

Back