Allegiant Travel Company Reports First Quarter 2007 Financial Results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

LAS VEGAS, May 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Allegiant Travel Company (Nasdaq: ALGT), parent company of Allegiant Air and Allegiant Vacations, today reported the following first quarter 2007 results, and comparisons to prior year equivalents:

Unaudited------------------------ 1Q07 1Q06 Change
Total operating revenues (millions) -$84.3 $59.6 41.4%
Operating income (millions) --------$14.3 $7.4 92.8%
Operating margin ------------------17.0% 12.4% 4.6pp
Net income (millions) --------------$9.7 $6.8 42.6%
Diluted earnings per share ---------$0.48 $0.41 17.1%

Scheduled Service:

Ancillary revenue per passenger -----$18.98 $12.47 52.2%
Total revenue per ASM (cents) -------9.13 7.96 14.7%

Total System*:
Operating expense per ASM (cents) --7.51 7.09 5.9%
Operating expenseper ASM, excluding
fuel (cents) -------------------------4.17 3.78 10.3%

* Total system includes scheduled service, fixed fee contract and
non-revenue flying.

"We are pleased to kick off 2007 with a strong set of first quarter results," said Maurice J. Gallagher, Chairman, CEO and President of Allegiant Travel Company. "Demand for our unique leisure product continues to be impressive. Despite a 49% increase in departures and a 28% ASM growth, load factor was up year-over-year. Further, total scheduled fare per passenger (including ancillary) was down only 1% despite a nearly 14% decrease in scheduled stage length. Our strong results -- a 93% increase in our operating margin -- are once again a tribute to our dedicated team-members. On the cost side, significantly shorter system stage length (down 11%) and exceptionally low prior-year maintenance costs contributed to a 10% year-over-year increase in non-fuel CASM."

Gallagher continued, "Our 17% first quarter operating margin was excellent even for what is historically our best quarter of the year. Both Las Vegas and Orlando were significantly stronger year-over-year, but the improvement in Orlando was striking, with Orlando's operating margin noticeably outpacing Las Vegas. Our new 'world class destination' of Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg was also strongly profitable. Looking at the second quarter, revenue strength is very encouraging to date. Last but not least, we continued to build our balance sheet, which maintained its status as one of the best in the industry. March 31, 2007 cash and short-term investments were a substantial $175 million."

Linda Marvin, Allegiant Travel Company CFO, stated, "Due to a non-recurring tax provision adjustment, our effective tax rate for the first quarter was 40.2%, significantly above our fourth quarter tax provision rate of 35.6%. The first quarter income tax provision reflects a one percentage point increase in federal income tax rate due to increased profitability as well as an increase in the state portion of our tax provision based upon changes in the geographic mix of our flying. The higher tax rate applies to first quarter earnings as well as our previously existing deferred tax balances resulting in a non-recurring income tax adjustment of $0.4 million or $0.02 per share. Excluding the non-recurring income tax adjustment, our tax provision rate for the first quarter was 37.9% which we expect to be the approximate rate for the balance of 2007."

During the first quarter, Allegiant Air initiated service to three new small cities and on nine new routes. Allegiant Air also purchased, for cash, two MD-80 aircraft that were previously leased.

We expect to place one additional owned, unencumbered MD-87 into service around June 1, increasing our operating fleet to 27 aircraft. We have also signed two letters of intent for a total of three aircraft (of which two would be operating-leased with a purchase option and one would be purchased for cash) for delivery this summer to support planned fourth quarter growth. This would increase our operating fleet to 30 aircraft before year end, consistent with our prior guidance of at least 29.

Announced future service includes ten new routes and six new small cities to be initiated by the end of the second quarter of 2007. We expect to make further new city and route announcements in the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks Chperplt

I go to flightinfo to find out what is happening with our company and here I find it. Seems that it is here first.

Allegiant announces profit, plans to add 4 MD-80 jets​
Leisure carrier Allegiant Air posted a net income of $9.7 million for the first quarter, according to The Wichita Eagle. The paper says Allegiant earned $6.8 million in the same quarter a year ago, the Central Valley (Calif.) Business Times reports. Allegiant officials "said increases from flights to Orlando [Sanford] outpaced growth in traffic to Las Vegas," writes the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The paper adds "new service to Tampa/St. Petersburg helped to propel the airline's earnings."
Ponder Harrison, managing director of marketing and sales for Allegiant tells the paper: "What was really impressive was the year-over-year improvement in Orlando." The airline has added 19 news routes to Florida and seven to Las Vegas since March 31, 2006, according to the Review-Journal. The paper adds "Allegiant also plans to increase its fleet of MD-80 jets to from 26 to 30 by the end of the year at a cost of between $5 million and $6 million per plane, said Andrew Levy, Allegiant's managing director of planning."

G4

Allegiant still sucks no matter how you look at it. We as MD-80 drivers are grossly underpaid and have no real benefits, we have no real work rules that anyone in management follows. We have no protection from a merger or aquistion. It is a good place to build some time and not much else. I would say our future has a 50/50 chance of survival. After MG leaves we are very much hanging in the breeze. Allegiant is just as bad as any regional I have ever worked at for work rules, Capt's on rsv sit rsv for both FO and CA lists. We are understaffed even by regional standards. Where is the big growth that MG promised after the IPO? WE HAVE NEVER SEEN IT!!!!!!! Four airplanes this year? Wtf???? Allegiant is joke and we are really being taken advantage of by the money hogging mgt. Everything is good for the stock holders and terrible for us, they are just lining there pockets and leaving us hanging. This pay increase we are asking for will yield a nice 4-7% rasise LOL.....can't wait. Stay away from this palce, so many places are better.

CD

Tell us how you really feel. BTW I hear that jetBlue and AirTran are hiring, both of which are loosing money. I'm sure if you were employed by either of them you would be happy.

I agree with you that the "work rules" are just a nice guideline for scheduling to go by when it is convenient. But on the other hand knowing the age of the company, I think it is doing just fine. As for the growth, I think all of the growth happened before the IPO. A huge explosion, like SFB opening at two or three cities and in a year serving over twenty, will most likely not happen again.

The point is that AAY is a new small company, what did you think it would be like?

Here's what I expected!!!

I expected a little more "growth" than I have seen. I also expected to be paid a little better, according to our in house -whatever they are -psuedo union? I guess we were going to get this great pay increase last fall. That did not happen and I am not fallling for it again. Fool me once -etc. WE STILL HAVE NO PROTECTION IF WE GET SOLD,MERGED ETC!!!! The pilots in LAS who are home every night and don't care are going to be crying bloody murder when we get sold, merged or whatever,and the other company's managment says "thanks but no thanks" to our rank and file pilot group. I came here thinking like many people did that we were growing. We are not, and very little has changed. It's disappointing to say the least. I am not one to complain and do nothing though. I am looking and applying elsewhere. The only safe places right now are cargo and swa. You have to hand it to those guys ,they all have there act together even when it comes to pay and benefits for their pilots. That is really the main problem, with the exception of the TWA/AMR guys at our company nobody really understands what good pay and benefits are. What we should be getting, we are MD-80 professional pilots. We should get paid and treated like them. That is what I expect, we have 175M in the bank and we are profitable. Please tell me why we shouldn't enjoy competive pay and benefits or why we are not expanding?

CD

Last edited:
Tell us how you really feel. BTW I hear that jetBlue and AirTran are hiring, both of which are loosing money. I'm sure if you were employed by either of them you would be happy.

Uh what? First off its "losing". Last time I checked we are on our way to the 8th consecutive year of making money while continuing to grow and hire another 250 to 300 this year. Get your facts right before you post.

Tell us how you really feel. BTW I hear that jetBlue and AirTran are hiring, both of which are loosing money.

No, both of them aren't. And its LOSING. LOOSING would be loosening if you are trying to untighten a rope.

Latest resources

Back