Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyBunny

NTSB Identification: ANC06IA054
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of ALASKA AIR GROUP (D.B.A. ALASKA AIRLINES)
Incident occurred Thursday, May 18, 2006 in Fairbanks, AK
Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas MD-83, registration: N949AS
Injuries: 145 Uninjured.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On May 18, 2006, about 1427 Alaska daylight time, a McDonnell Douglas MD-83 airplane, N949AS, sustained minor damage while landing at the Fairbanks International Airport, Fairbanks, Alaska. The flight was being conducted under Title 14, CFR Part 121, as a scheduled domestic passenger flight, operated by Alaska Airlines, Inc., as Flight 99. There were no injuries to the two pilots, three flight attendants, or the 140 passengers aboard. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and an instrument flight plan had been filed for the flight from Anchorage, Alaska.

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge on May 18, the director of flight safety for the operator reported that the first officer was flying a VOR approach to runway 19R. He said that during the initial part of the approach, while descending through 2,000 feet msl, intermittent instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) prevailed. As the airplane descended below the scattered cloud deck, and as runway 19R came into view, the crew discovered that the airplane was to the left of the runway centerline. When the airplane neared the approach end of the runway, the first officer applied right aileron control to correct the misalignment. The director of safety said that just before touchdown, the captain gave the order to go-around, and applied takeoff engine power, but was unable to arrest the airplane's descent. The right wing struck the runway as the main landing gear wheels contacted the runway. The flight crew was initially unaware that the wing had struck the runway until a flight attendant, seated in the rear of the airplane, informed them that the wing had struck the runway. After the go-around, the flight crew declared an emergency, and made an uneventful landing on runway 19R.

The closest official weather observation station is located at the Fairbanks International Airport. On May 18, at 1353, an Aviation Routine Weather Report (METAR) was reporting in part: Sky conditions and ceiling, 2,300 feet broken, 4,800 feet broken, 10,000 feet broken; visibility, 10 statute miles; wind, 250 degrees at 6 knots; temperature, 50 degrees F; dew point 43 degree F.

The airplane's flight data recorder (FDR) and cockpit voice recorder (CVR) were removed for analysis by the Safety Board's vehicle recorder laboratory in Washington, D.C.
------------------------------------------------------------

So, now I invite all of you to start bashing Mesa for a fantastic 'go-around' decision that resulted in no damage or a potential disaster or having to declare an emergency.

All those who tout 'major airline' pilots as better than regional airline pilots...go ahead...say something more and keep singing the 'major song'.

Especially ACA Terry. Both these pilots had many more hundreds of hours than 1,500-hour pilots who apply and work for reginal airlines like Mesa/Pinnacle, etc.

First Officer messed up on the VOR approach and captain couldn't arrest the excessive descent rate and was totally unable to see that the approach was 'not stabilized', until it was too late (what about the pre-landing briefing about ‘un-tabilized’ approach?).

Can you believe that the flight attendant had to INFORM them about the wing hitting the ground surface? And there are those on this board who have used sentences like: "...why would you even listen to a flight attendant."

Oh yeah...lets not say anything about training standards and competency at the 'major airlines' as we are so scared that if our identities come out, the won't hire us - an obvious next step for all the pilots on this board.

Bunny

People love to bash mesa because they are jelious. Mesa may not have the pay but you upgrade very quick and then move on to bigger and better things. So the ASA fo who at 5 years still hasn't upgraded and probably never will because of those greedy liberal unions will keep bashing Mesa because he knows that someone hired at mesa back when he was hired at ASA has already upgraded and gotten his pic and has already been hired at CAL.

SuperKooter said:
I'm not a mesa pilot I wish I would have been because now I would be an AirTran or Cal pilot.

I think they require that you be able to write complete sentences first.

SuperKooter said:
I'm not a mesa pilot I wish I would have been because now I would be an AirTran or Cal pilot.

Yeah right, every single Mesa pilot eventually winds up at AirTran or Cal (or some other major). You would not believe the number of "lifers" at Mesa.

FlyBunny said:
So, now I invite all of you to start bashing Mesa for a fantastic 'go-around' decision that resulted in no damage or a potential disaster or having to declare an emergency.

Bunny
you dumb jek off, dont you get it mesa is a totall craphole and all their pilots are loosers

heres a good one for you d1p********************.

last year in PHL mesa scraped a wing and did a go around AND DID NOT DECLARE AN EMERGENCY. yea I know because I flew 2 people that were on that flight, and they almost rented a car because they were so messed up. NICE TRY!!!

MESA SCRAPED A WING IN PHL LAST YEAR AND DID NOT DECLARE AN EMG

theres your difference you dumb PFT/bottom dweller/ oh hell, just a mesa dork. thats the worst insult that you can have.

you have just been CLOWNED. enjoy retard

hahahhahha, wooops, yea you suck

(and if you have a problem with my SP/grammer eat sh1t and die)

Last edited:
SuperKooter said:
People love to bash mesa because they are jelious. Mesa may not have the pay but you upgrade very quick and then move on to bigger and better things. So the ASA fo who at 5 years still hasn't upgraded and probably never will because of those greedy liberal unions will keep bashing Mesa because he knows that someone hired at mesa back when he was hired at ASA has already upgraded and gotten his pic and has already been hired at CAL.

Hey D'angelo how's it going? Get tired of everyone telling you to lay off the union attacks that you had to change your name?

who the fu(k can tell which pilot group is safer or better . but from personal experience of being a passenger for the last 30 years by far the worse flight i've ever been on was a mesa flight. as we tracked right through what had to have been a pretty decent thunderstorm surrounded by lightning and getting tossed around like a rag doll i imagined the conversation that was going on up front. " fu(k it i'm not diverting we wont get more than block anyway. "
i found that thought amusing as i watched the passengers clutch the armrests like they were about to take the final journey to the afterlife.

Latest resources

Back