Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowtimedriver

Marmott Stalker
I wanted to get your opinions on what happened to me during a solo-flight today. I am a student pilot with about 100 hours of total time. I had a medical condition pop up in July of 2005 when I had about sixty hours of instruction time and was preparing for my stage two check. I finally worked everything out with the FAA and was granted a SI two weeks ago. I flew with my CFI yesterday and soloed again and he signed my off for my ninety day solo endorsement. When I soloed yesterday in the presence of my CFI, I was not nervous, anxious or scared one bit. I flew flawlessly and greased all three of my landings.
I was so stoked to be able to fly solo again and I wanted to get back up ASAP, so I scheduled another solo flight again today. I did my pre-flight as usual, taxied my aircraft to the run-up area, did the run-up and then taxied to the hold bar for R24 at KCRQ. During this whole process, I was not nervous or scared. I planned to go from Palomar to Ramona to do pattern work and work on my short field and soft maneuvers. CRQ ATC cleared me to take-off and I rolled onto 24 and went to full power on the roll. I was totally focused, checked the instruments, RPM's, airspeed alive and rotated at 55 KIAS. Everything is fine and then I get up to about 800' and get ready to turn cross-wind and the thought runs through my head, "what the fock am I doing up here?" I was for a brief moment panic stricken. My muscles went limp for about five seconds and I quickly regained my composure and flew to Ramona. I was a little nervous flying out there, but overall I was fine. I nailed all of my landings at Ramona and departed back to CRQ and made a good soft-field landing in front of a couple of biz-jets waiting to depart.
While I was driving home I started thinking what if that happens again? So my question is if this type of emotion kind of normal when you start flying by yourself, or is it something that I need to be concerned with? BTW, I had four solo hours before my medical condition popped up, so today’s flight was my first solo not in the presence of my CFI in eight months. I will greatly appreciate your input and recommendations.

You're taking a one ton combination of sheet metal and gasoline thousands of feet into the air, held up by principles that people still debate after we've been doing it for a hundred years. It's ok to be nervous every now and then. The biggest thing is that you overcame it and finished the flight. Take confidence from that, it's not an easy thing to do. The one thing I might recommend would be a flight or two at your home airport before heading somewhere else. And remember, your CFI wouldn't let you do it if he didn't think you could handle it.

I remember one time when I told a student she was going to solo, her first reaction was, "Am I gonna die?" After I did a little reassuring she went up and did very well, made some very good decisions. Don't beat yourself up over this.

Latest resources

Back