Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stratman560

Hey guys:

Seems as if I am going to have an interview here in the not too distant future for a higher time SIC spot on a Lear 35A and was just curious what to expect on the interview since its been awhile since I have been interviewed. I have a bit over 2500TT ATP, Type in the CE-500 and about 1600 PIC and 1000 (mostly SIC) in the Citation. I am guessing I will be typed in the Lear and eventually work my way into a captain spot eventually if I am offered the job. Anyway, its kind of a 135/91 jet management type of operation (aren't they all) ;) so just curious what you guys have experienced lately going into these types of jobs as far as questions go. I am guessing more, "getting to know you" than technical stuff but I could be wrong. My last job was all Part 91 on a C560 owned by four individuals and our flight department was dissolved when two of the owners wanted to sell the aircraft so I really hope I land this job. Educate me. What have you guys been seeing out there?

stratman560

:beer:
Hey guys:

Seems as if I am going to have an interview here in the not too distant future for a higher time SIC spot on a Lear 35A and was just curious what to expect on the interview since its been awhile since I have been interviewed. I have a bit over 2500TT ATP, Type in the CE-500 and about 1600 PIC and 1000 (mostly SIC) in the Citation. I am guessing I will be typed in the Lear and eventually work my way into a captain spot eventually if I am offered the job. Anyway, its kind of a 135/91 jet management type of operation (aren't they all) ;) so just curious what you guys have experienced lately going into these types of jobs as far as questions go. I am guessing more, "getting to know you" than technical stuff but I could be wrong. My last job was all Part 91 on a C560 owned by four individuals and our flight department was dissolved when two of the owners wanted to sell the aircraft so I really hope I land this job. Educate me. What have you guys been seeing out there?

It's been my experience, that if you are able to walk in the door with a license (certificate) then you passed most of the test. Most managment companies--better know as Part 135, are always looking to fill a seat and the interview is mostly as you stated--"getting to know you" type of stuff. If you present yourself well (dress as though it was a corporate job) and you have a good attitude, then you will more than likely get the job if you are the type of person they are looking for.

Some, but not all will require a signed contract if they have to spend money training you, so be prepared to sign a one or two year contract and look for verbage pertaining to upgrade time so you are not locked into the right seat for the length of the contract.

Hope this helps and good luck on the interview.

We operate under FAR Part 91/135 and conduct a bit more thorough interview. General questions to determine personality followed by AIM, Weather, Instrument Procedures and FAR questions tailored to the applicants background. An FTD or in certain cases a simulator evaluation is often used as well.

I have to agree with leenick, we are trying to fill a seat. Not that you are not a valuable asset in the cockpit, but by the time you get to 2000-2500 hours and already have been flying jets, you probably can push the throttles forward and move the yoke (not to mention tune the radios!). We are looking for someone we can work with in the cockpit and someone we can spend 5-7 days on the road with, so we are trying to see who you are. You will probably spend at least a year in the right seat, so if you can't fly an airplane well we will see that and either try to help you out or look for someone else.

Good luck! As much bad as you hear about 135, it is fun flying. Be yourself and you will do fine (unless you are a jerk, then fake the whole interview until you get the job!!!)

Latest resources

Back