• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawker rider

(gold)Member
Hi,

I was reading one of the other threads that mentioned something about this part91 rule. I am having a complete brainXXXX. My other pilot that I am on the road with couldn't give me an answer either.

Where can I find at what altitude I am under the floor of classB?? I don't have any charts here but I am pretty sure that the IFR charts don't really say anything about this, and i was under the assumption that classB is also subject to change, so what way of knowing to slow from 250 to 200??

Thank you for your reply's

M
I probably just removed a lot of doubt from people about my knowledge off FAR's...............

Have a look at 91.117c

91.117c

Ok, this is the rule, I knew this one, but how can I find out IF I am in an airspace that is underlying class B??

I know i can ask ATC, but that's a little unprofessional i think. I am just interested, since classB is also subject to change, so will be hard to depict it on a chart. Also with the pie-structure of class B. Seems really hard to put that on a map.

So what way of knowing that you have to adjust your speed to 200 knots, not being within 4nm of a primary airport in C or D etc.

M

I can't remember if NOS has a chart, but Jeppesen puts out a Class B airspace chart for each airport that shows the altitudes of each section. They are usually defined by DME from the center VOR, but there are no radials listed that define the different pie sections, and all the notches and extentions are totally undefined. I think ATC tries to keep IFR traffic within the boundaries of the Class B, but I doubt if they would try to violate someone for nicking a corner going 250. There's no real way a pilot could know for sure if he's inside or outside the Class B.

Good question.

No good answer.

As a conservative practice, I would not go over 200KIAS within 20nm of the B airport unless you are talking to approach (which still doesn't mean you're in/out). And if you are talking to them (and you are unsure in/out) I would just ask if you can speed up to 250.

For ultra-conservative practice, if you're not talking to approach control don't fly greater than 200KIAS within 30nm of B airport and you can't go wrong.

TPA and MCO are fine examples of "how the heck do you know?"
talk about govt. planning! I would prefer that they just take a bigger chunk if it would mean that you could define the "B-space" lateral limits without a plotter, abacus, and sundial.

that's my angle

Know thy terminal airspace, good situational awareness, charts accesible, good SIC, good GPS graphics. When in doubt slow down. Jet traffic almost always is contained within Class B when going to and from primary airport. Even when flying to satelite airports jets are usually kept higher (in Class B longer), now Turboprops are another story. Approaching TEB/EWR from south they start you down to 15,000 to 11,000 over PXT/Cheasapeek (sp?)

Latest resources

Back