141 Instrument Training Minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ScottFMLS

It seems that everyone I ask gives me a different answer than the person I asked previously...

The FAR's say that under Part 141 Instrument Training, 35 hours of instrument training is required. Part 61 says specifically that 40 hours of simulated or actual instrument is required. My question is, since the FAA did not make this as clear in 141 as in 61, does that mean that my hood time doesn't have to total up to 35 hours, just my dual received? I mean, as we're doing our instrument taxi check, stack check, and copying clearances, I am receiving instrument training, even though I'm not under the Foggles, right?

I'm coming up on my ride in a week, and I've got some flying to get done before then to meet the minimums. I'm just trying to figure out how much flying...

Any insight would really be appreciated. Also, can someone tell me where I can find and search FAA letters of interpretation?

Thanks!

Scott

Hi...

The requirements for Part 61 stipulate a total of 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time in the areas of operation to include-

At least 15 hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in the aircraft category for which the instrument rating is sought;

3 hours in prep for the practical test with an authorized instructor,(paraphrased). Etc...

This means that 22 hours of the total instrument time required may be done in simulated conditions,(under the hood),with a safety pilot who is at least a Private Pilot properly rated in category and class...or in actual conditions with at least an Instrument rated Private pilot acting as PIC while you manipulate the controls. Not considered flight training.

For Part 141, the requirements are for the candidate to receive 35 hours of instrument training, which means the time that you are manipulating the aircraft soley by reference to instruments with an authorized instructor would be the time to satisfy the requirement. This doesn't include visual time such as taxi, run-up, sitting on the ramp doing a stack check, etc.

I recommend the 2003 ASA Pro Flight Library CD ROM for obtaining Legal Interpretations.

Regards

It's 35 hours instrument time you need. You'll need the check your syllabus for the exact requirements, but it should say or have a matrix which sums up all hours for every lesson. I believe the one we use, specifies minimum hours per lesson that'll add up to 35 hours (that you'll need to meet at the end of course) as flight by reference to instruments, hence the taxi, runup, cockpit check etc. is only dual recived and does not count toward the 35 hours required for the rating under 141.

a-v-8er said:
"...hence the taxi, runup, cockpit check etc. is only dual recived and does not count toward the 35 hours required for the rating under 141."

Hi...

I could swear I just said that.

Regards

Yes, you did! I was just to quick to post my message without reading through yours thoroughly first. Sorry, for stealing your thunder... :)

Hi...

Aww....it's no problem a-v-8er, we're all here for the same reason....keep up the good work....!!

Regards

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, guys! I take my Instrument checkride tommorrow with 35.0 hours of combined simulated and actual instrument time. Had to fly my a$$ off to get it done and not cancel the ride, but it's finished, and hopefully I'll be on to the next challenge next week!

Latest resources

Back