• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

135 Vfr Regs

Yellow Snow

never eat the yellow snow
Total Time
I currently meet the 135 VFR mins but I am short of the IFR mins. Question is can I still legally file and fly on an IFR flight plan as long as I stay in VFR conditions or do I have to fly on a VFR flight plan while flying for a 135 company with pax. I prefer the security of the IFR system and would rather fly it even in day VFR conditions.

discuss.

iflyabeech

el Piloto
Total Time
plenty
must. . . .stay. . . . .VFR. . . .can . . . .use.....flight. . . . .following

aeronautic1

Virgil_Tracy
Total Time
iflyabeech is correct

you are mandated by FARs to fly VFR if flying Part 135 leg with pax. On your Part 91 empty return leg, if you are appropiately certificated (Instrument Rating) then you may file and fly IFR. However, you also must check with your Ops Specs and SOPs and make sure you are not violating company policy. If you have any doubts about what we are saying, you need to consult with your CP.

Yellow Snow

Total Time
iflyabeech said:
must. . . .stay. . . . .VFR. . . .can . . . .use.....flight. . . . .following

I understand I must stay VFR. I also understand I can use flight following. My question is can I legally file and fly an IFR flight plan if I stay in VFR conditions.

iflyabeech

el Piloto
Total Time
plenty
no. . . .cannot. . . file.. . . .IFR. . . .

Yellow Snow

Total Time
Thanks for the answers just needed a clarification.

Tinstaafl

Total Time
If you're VFR then by definition you cannot be IFR. You may be in VMC while operating i.a.w. IFR but that's not the same as operating i.a.w. VFR.

Note the difference between 'VFR' & 'VMC'. The two are not the same (although VFR requires VMC).